Father’s involvement positively and directly impacts a child’s well-being in remarkable and crucial ways.
Anyone can father a kid, but being a dad takes a lifetime. Fathers play a role in every kid’s life that others cannot fill. This role can significantly impact a child and help shape them into the individual they become.
Studies indicate that very few fathers attend their children’s school activities regularly. They rarely sit down and help their child prepare their homework. One of the mothers openly said “Their father plays with the child but does not sit with them to read.”
According to a research study, mothers usually care for their children, especially in their early years. The majority of the participants mentioned the fathers’ participation in daily caring and rearing activities which are mainly talking; watching movies or TV with them; taking them to a park or any relative’s house or for a walk; buying toys or food; playing with them, and eating with them. Few of the fathers stated that they engaged somehow in some physical activities like feeding, giving a bath to children, cutting their nails, and dressing them. One of the mothers uttered with sadness, “After the child was born, the father could not take the child in his arms. He didn’t even try because he is scared of the sensitivity and delicateness of the baby.”
Psychologists claim that daddys’ involvement in child rearing is as vital as the mommies.
Here are the main reasons for this involvement:
1. Fathers and Emotional Development. Fathers, like mothers, are pillars in developing a child’s emotional well-being. Kids look to their fathers to lay down the rules and enforce them. They also look to their dads to provide a feeling of emotional and physical security. Studies have shown that when fathers are supportive and affectionate, it dramatically affects a kid’s social and cognitive development. It also instills an overall sense of self-confidence and well-being.
2. Fathers Set the Bar for Relationships with Others. Fathers influence who you are inside and your relationships with people as you grow. How a father treats his child will affect what they look for in other people. Spouses, friends, and partners will all be chosen based on how the kid perceives the meaning of the relationship with their dads.
3. Fathers model their children. For daughters, young girls depend on their fathers for emotional and security support. A dad shows his daughter what a good relationship with a man is like. If a dad is gentle and loving, his daughter will look for these qualities when developing relationships with friends and peers. If a father is courageous and strong, she will closely relate to others of the same traits.
For sons, unlike girls, who model their relationships with others based on their dad’s character, boys model themselves after their dad’s personality. Boys will get approval from their dads from a very prime age. If a father treats people with respect and is caring, the young boy will grow up much the same. When a dad is absent, young boys seek other male figures to arrange the “rules” for behaving and surviving in the world.
To further enhance that relationship of a father towards his children, Talk, Play, and Read with Me Daddy by Gramlich is a highly recommended book to bridge any gaps there are. This book narrates that there’s nothing more magical than interacting with a child, especially when you know you’re encouraging them to say their first true words. Starting as early as birth, you can begin to talk, play, and read with your child and become actively involved in the initial stages of communication. Talk, Play, And Read With Me Daddy will not only guide you but provide you and your child with many stimulating activities and games that are developmentally appropriate and designed to help enhance your child’s speech and language skills. There are many interactive activities for infants (e.g., Making Sounds, Tubby Time, Playful Reading), toddlers (e.g., Sorting Fun, Picnic Time, My Fun Box), and preschoolers (e.g., Listen Up, Story Telling, Searching for Shapes). These fun-filled learning games can be played when you and your child have a few extra minutes during daily routines, playtime, or story time.
Studies have shown that a father’s involvement positively and directly impacts a child’s well-being in remarkable and crucial ways. Dads also play an essential role in their child’s language development and can enhance their child’s communication skills during the infant, toddler, and preschool years. Every parent’s dream for their children is to ensure that kids become successful and responsible in the future.
- Talking Some Sense: Parental Communication Through the Ages - September 12, 2023
- Setting a Good Example: How Children Inspire Adults - August 11, 2023
- Transforming Screen Time into Interactive Reading - July 25, 2023